We have all been tempted to try one or another of the cosmetic products that we see in commercials every day, all promising to make our skin, hair, nails and every part of our bodies beautiful and youthful looking. However, many of them contain substances that could actually be harmful endocrine disruptors, carcinogenic, or with neurotoxic effects.
The David Suzuki foundation has compiled a list of 12 of the most problematic chemicals and calls them the ‘dirty dozen’. Some studies claim that nearly all commercial cosmetic products contain at least one substance that has 80% of the listed chemicals!
On the other hand, there are still companies that produce both high-quality and safe products, free of such dangerous substances.
Coconut oil is a great natural beauty product
Many of the safe and natural beauty products contain coconut oil, which is a great skin moisturizer, as well as having antibacterial and antioxidant properties which act to fight against the aging of skin.
This miracle oil also contains natural proteins which can protect, heal and strengthen damaged hair.
Here are some ways you can use coconut oil:
Therefore, here are some fantastic ways to use coconut oil as a cosmetic product:
- Anti-acne cream – apply the oil to blemishes directly or make a mask by mixing 2 tablespoons of coconut oil with 2 tablespoons aloe Vera juice and 2 teaspoons of raw honey and leaving it on for 20 minutes.
- Under eye cream – dab coconut oil on bags under the eyes and on the fine lines around the delicate skin
- Night cream – apply it at night for maximum moisturizing benefits. Its high antioxidant content smooths fine lines and wrinkles.
- Anti-age cream – rub a little coconut oil o your skin every night before going to bed to lighten age spots and fight premature aging.
- Clay and charcoal face soap – Mix clay and charcoal with coconut oil and use it as soap to remove impurities and cleanse and detox skin.
- Shaving cream – use coconut oil instead of regular shaving cream for soft and smooth skin
- After-shaving lotion – use coconut oil to hydrate skin and to protect any cuts and nicks
- Eye makeup remover – Just put a bit onto a cotton ball to easily take the makeup off
- Lip balm – the potent moisturizing properties of coconut oil soften dry and chapped lips
- Lip scrub – add a little organic raw sugar to coconut oil for a natural lip scrub
- Lotion bar for dry skin – Mix coconut oil with beeswax and essential oil to treat dry, flaky skin
- Makeup brush cleaner – mix one part of coconut oil with 2 parts natural antibacterial soap to clean makeup brushes
- Hair conditioner / mask – it repairs any damage and makes hair smooth and silky
- Hair serum – it provides an amazing treatment for hair, especially in combination with vitamin E
- Anti-dandruff treatment – add it your natural shampoo to fight dandruff and to provide volume
- Toothpaste – its powerful antibacterial properties make it a perfect alternative to regular toothpaste
- Teeth whitener – A popular Ayurvedic treatment, known as oil pulling, involves simply swishing coconut oil in your mouth for 5 to 20 minutes a day. This is great for oral health and helps destroy bacteria and eliminate stains.
- Mouthwash – Rinse with coconut oil for oil pulling benefits and for healthy and white teeth
- Deodorant – mix it with tea tree oil and shea butter for a natural and toxin-free deodorant
- Nail cream – coconut oil makes a great natural cream which nourishes nails and cuticles
- Sunscreen – Coconut oil can be used as a healthy and toxin-free sunscreen
- Self – tanner – Use it to get that easy sun kissed look
- Massage oil – Mix 30 drops of essential oil with a ¼ cup of coconut oil to boost the effects of your massage
- Body butter – mix coconut oil with a favorite essential oil for a great natural body butter
- Body scrub – For a great body scrub, mix ½ cup of organic sugar with ½ cup of coconut oil and a couple of drops of any essential oil you like
- Stretch mark cream – use coconut oil as an amazingly effective cream to treat stretch marks
- Varicose veins treatment – apply it topically to varicose veins to reduce their appearance
- Anti-cellulite cream – use it topically on the skin to reduce cellulite but also add it to your everyday diet to nourish skin from within
- Itch relief – apply it topically to soothe itching from burns, bites and rashes
- Foot scrub – mix 2 cups of coconut oil with 1 cup of Epsom salt and a couple of drops of essential oil of peppermint to scrub dry feet before bedtime
- Cracked heels – mix it with magnesium flakes and your favorite essential oil to make a salve that heals cracked heels
Switching to natural cosmetic products means avoiding the potentially harmful chemicals that are contained in the commercial products while at the same time experiencing amazing beauty benefits. Your hair, skin, teeth and nails will look younger and your wellbeing will be optimized. Stop wasting time and take advantage of all the benefits of coconut oil right now!