When the people experience some kind of blockage in the throat or nasal passages, find it hard to breathe or have a persistent cough, the reason of that condition can be the phlegm and mucus in their chest and throat.
Phlegm (the thick viscous substance) occurs when the mucous membrane of your respiratory tract fights infections, and that usually happens in the case of a severe cold. The excessive phlegm besides the cold can be caused by flu, sinusitis, viral or bacterial infections, as well as allergic reactions (hay fever, asthma, or damaged vocal cords).
The symptoms of this condition are fever, runny nose, weakness, a constant cough, and difficulties in breathing. The phlegm should be treated on time, as it might lead to secondary upper respiratory infections and clogging of the bronchial tubes.
The following homemade remedies will eliminate phlegm and mucus in the throat and chest, and treat all these accompanying symptoms, in a safe and effective way.
Honey And Lemon
Honey is known as a powerful antiviral, antibacterial and antifungal properties, which in such situation can calm the irritated respiratory tract, leading to an instant relief.
Lemon is high in vitamin C, which boosts the immune system, and clears away congestion.
– A tablespoon of honey
– 2 tablespoons of Lemon juice
1) Mix the honey and lemon juice stirring the mixture well.
2) Drink the beverage right three times daily to relieve congestion.
Ginger has an ability as a natural antihistamine and decongestant and has a powerful antiviral, expectorant, and antibacterial properties. As it is drying out excessive mucus and stimulating the elimination of buildup it soothes chest and throat congestion.
Follow the instructions for preparing the ginger infusion:
A teaspoon of honey
6 or 7 pieces ginger
2 cups of water
A teaspoon of black peppercorns
1) In a heated water, at the time when it starts to simmer, add the ginger and peppercorns.
2) Covering the pan, leave it to boil for a minute,
3) Simmer on a low heat for 5 to 7 minutes until it turns pale yellow.
4) After straining to add a tablespoon of honey.
Use: drink this tea 2-3 times daily
Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar has an ability to alkalize the body and maintain a healthy pH balance. This is the way of preventing excess production of mucus in the body.
– Add a tablespoon of raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar to a glass of water and mix well.
– Drink the mixture 2-3 times daily to eliminate phlegm or
– Gargle it to soothe a sore throat.
The curcumin in the turmeric has powerful medicinal properties and can destroy bacteria in the body.
– A teaspoon of turmeric
– A glass of Warm water
– Half a teaspoon of Salt
1) To a glass of warm water add a tablespoon of turmeric,
2) After adding the salt, stir and gargle with the solution.
Use: To loosen mucus and reduce phlegm in your throat repeat treatment 3-4 times daily.
Salt water extremely helps thanks to the water that calms the throat, and the antibacterial qualities of salt fight infections and destroy bacteria.
Steaming is an old way of eliminating the mucus and phlegm in the throat because the inhaling of vapors will provide instant relief.
Infusing the water with herbs is extremely beneficial and enhances healing.
– 4-5 cups of boiling hot water
– Half a teaspoon of dried rosemary
– Half a teaspoon of thyme
1) Add half dried rosemary and a teaspoon of thyme to the water,
2) Lean over the bowl to inhale the steam.
3) In order to enhance the effects put a towel over the head, so the steam can go directly into the face.
Use: Repeat 3-4 times daily. You can also practice a steamy shower twice daily.
– Do not consume cold drinks and foods
– Regularly blow the nose to expel the phlegm
– Avoid smoking, to reduce the congestion and irritation of the respiratory tract
– Avoid exposure to household cleaners,
– Use a humidifier to control the mucus production
– Gargle and spit phlegm or mucus out to accelerate the healing process.
– Consume spicy foods such as peppers and garlic